Wednesday 25 January 2012

I Love My Internet Radio!

Get down off that tree Tommy, and come and listen to some rock and soul on WFMU!
After dropping a few hints, I received an internet radio for Christmas. I listen to music for an unhealthy proportion of my waking hours, and I'm always curious to hear new sounds. Being able to tune in to any radio station in the world or any available podcast or "listen again" whilst cooking macaroni in the kitchen without the hum of the PC as an irritating background noise was highly appealing.

I love my indiepop, my rocksteady and my post-punk, but I also want to know more about the soul and rockabilly sounds of the late 1950s and early 1960s, so I searched for a station which would give me the sounds that inspired The Cramps. I found it at WFMU Rock & Soul.

Below is an old programme from the excellent Fool's Paradise With Rex series. It features (at approximately 27 minutes in) the tune which may have influenced The Cramps more than any other song - Cravin' by Bobby Roberts with The Bad Habits. It rocks!

I'll link to some of my other favourite stations in the near future, but if anyone knows of any similar station to this one, I'd love to hear about it!



 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment