Friday 27 December 2013

Scared To Get Happy Disc 6



I had the Scared To Get Happy 5 CD box set of 1980s UK indiepop for Christmas. Of course, it's terrific - 134 jolly pop songs - just what I always wanted - but as ever with these things, you get to thinking what was missed off, whether it was because bands were too popular, or too obscure, or too goth, or too punk, or because of licencing problems (and they admit that they couldn't agree terms for some of the big names - The Smiths and My Bloody Valentine stand out in particular).

So, I've just had a day off from everything else (bar fixing the back gate and piling up the wood from a storm-damaged fence - oh, and doing the washing up and a few other chores...). A day dedicated to thinking about what a disc six would have sounded like with all the missed artists. My favourites. After all, I was 15 on New Year's Day 1980, so this was my decade. The underground pop scene was all mine like it had never been before or ever has been since.

Inevitably, the bands piled up and I couldn't decide who to leave off, so I had to have a disc six and a disc seven. I've just created a 28 track Youtube mix for a theoretical disc six (theoretical partly because it's 90+ minutes long and wouldn't actually fit on a CD, but hey ho...). I'm going to play it whilst I'm browsing other web pages and enjoy it. If you wish to do so too, be my guest. "Disc seven" will follow when I've created a Youtube mix for it in a day or two.

Tracklisting for my very own Scared To Get Happy disc 6 (1980 - 1986):

  1. ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN - The Puppet
  2. MO-DETTES - Foolish Girl
  3. THE CHEFS - 24 Hours
  4. PAULINE MURRAY & THE INVISIBLE GIRLS - Dream Sequence 1
  5. FAMILY FODDER - Debbie Harry
  6. ASSOCIATES - A Matter of Gender
  7. THE TEARDROP EXPLODES - When I Dream
  8. FAD GADGET - Fireside Favourite
  9. WAH! HEAT - Seven Minutes to Midnight
  10. YOUNG MARBLE GIANTS - Wurlitzer Jukebox
  11. THE ONLY ONES - Oh Lucinda (Love Becomes a Habit)
  12. THE PASSIONS - The Swimmer
  13. B-MOVIE - Remembrance Day
  14. ALTERED IMAGES - Real Toys
  15. ORANGE JUICE - Consolation Prize
  16. THE UNDERTONES - Julie Ocean
  17. THE THREE JOHNS - English White Boy Engineer
  18. TWA TOOTS - Please Don't Play 'A Rainy Night in Georgia'
  19. MARC RILEY WITH THE CREEPERS - Hole 4 a Soul
  20. THE VERY THINGS - The Bushes Scream While My Daddy Prunes
  21. THE PASTELS - A Million Tears
  22. COCTEAU TWINS - The Spangle Maker
  23. THE MEMBRANES - I Am Fish Eye
  24. GEE! MR TRACEY - The Day the Shoes Bit Back
  25. GRAHAM FELLOWS - Seven Pints and a Suicide
  26. FELT - Ballad of the Band
  27. THE HOUSEMARTINS - Get Up Off of Our Knees
  28. THE FALL - Shoulder Pads

No comments:

Post a Comment